Monday, September 16, 2013

[Wood pallet sign DIY]

Note: The dimensions for the "for like ever" sign is 24"x22".   I purchased the wood at Home Depot.  For the front boards I bought 2 pieces of cedar [$2.45 each] that were 6 feet long by 5.5" wide.  (5/8" thick) I had them cut 24" long, which gave me 3 pieces of wood from each cedar board (6 total)  For the smaller piece of wood I bought another cedar board [$1.64] that was 3.5" wide by 6 feet long. (5/8" thick) I had them cut two pieces 18" long. 

Directions:
1- Find a hot handy man [optional, I just lucked out with my husband] to assemble your wood pallet.  It was as simple as screwing in a screw to each board to hold the sign together.  
2- Paint your pallet the color of your choice.  I like to rough it up with some sandpaper after for a more rustic look.
3- For my letters I like to print off letters after I have resized them on my computer to the size I want them.  I get my letters HERE.  Once I have printed them out (can be trial and error on the size) I cut them out.
4- Lay the letters on your pallet and lightly trace them with a pencil.
5- Carefully paint the letter the color of your choice.
6- I like to go paint over my letters really lightly with some white paint to give it a more rustic look.  You can also sand them a little bit with sandpaper.



For the "to the moon & back" sign, I used old barn wood that my mother in law gave me.  The dimensions for this sign were 24"x24" I has more of a rustic look to it.  I love the way it turned out. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this! I will have to come up with a cute saying for my baby girls room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! I'm glad it can help you out! Good luck with your baby girls room :)

      Delete